Friday, July 31, 2009

Anyone who has ever lost their cat, please reply?

I just lost mine almost a month ago, he was a beautiful outdoors tabby, greyish blackish. I now regret declawing him, and he doesn't usually stay out this long.
Just taking a quick poll to see if anyone here has lost their cat before and what happened. You can describe what happened, or fill out this form (completely!):
How old was your cat?
Male or Female?
How long till kitty came back?
Was he/she injured?
If Kitty didn't come back, did you ever find out his/her fate?
Was he/she indoors or outdoors cat?
I've already left ads over at a few neighbors' and 2 animal clinics, and searched online petfinding services, no luck.
Best answer goes to most detailed; thank you!
Answers:
I've had three cats run away.
How old was your cat: a couples months old
Male or Female: Male
How long till kitty came back: Never did
Was he/she injured: don't know
If Kitty didn't come back, did you ever find out his/her fate: no
Was he/she indoors or outdoors cat: He was an outdoor kitty
How old was your cat: couple of months old
Male or Female: Male
How long till kitty came back: never did
Was he/she injured: Don't know
If Kitty didn't come back, did you ever find out his/her fate: No
Was he/she indoors or outdoors cat: outdoors
How old was your cat: a couple of months old
Male or Female: Female
How long till kitty came back: 24 hrs
Was he/she injured: no
If Kitty didn't come back, did you ever find out his/her fate: She does this a lot
Was he/she indoors or outdoors cat: outdoors
My cousin has an outdoor cat. He's almost 20 now. Back when he was around 5 or 6, he left one day and didn't return. She was mortified. She was convinced he was gone - two or three months later, as if it were like any other day, he showed up at the door. He had some tufts of hair gone, you could tell he was in a few brawls. She took him in, fed him, brought him to the vets. I don't know how she found the strength, but she let him out again, and he always returned the same day from then on.
Let me get this straight. You had your cat declawed and then you let him go outside. Is that correct?
Now you're looking for answers?
Now you're searching for him?
What chances do you think this poor thing has of surviving outdoors?
If a predator didn't get him then traffic has.
I don't know what the poll will actually do to help you, it's not going to provide you with anything that will help you get your cat back.
You didn't say if you contacted your local animal control,or the local shelters or the people who remove dead animals from the street. The first two only keep animals for a week--you need to call them every two to three days and make a trip down once a week in case their records don't accurately describe your pet. The animal removal people keep records of what they find, which can be requested. You should also contact all the vets in your area, notjust a few, and leave 'lost' posters on their bulletin boards.
A lost cat can go up to five miles, so just telling a few neighbors isn't going to be enough. People who loose pets have to blanket a 4 block area in every direction from their house, to get good coverage. Asking kids to keep an eye out for your pet is a good idea too.
A long time ago I had an adorable affectionate cat named Slyvester (he looked like the cartoon cat). He was a stray adult cat that the neighborhood fed, but he adopted me. Always obedient, he came when I called his name and never scratched or bit anyone. I had him for 4 years and was moving to a no-cat home so I couldn't take him with me. We left him at our old place where we thought others could easily look after him. A month later, when visiting a local store, I spotted him walking in the opposite direction of me. I called out "Slyvester!Slyvester!!" and he came running into my arms. I decided to ignore my house rules and keep him once and for all. All was right with my world. I would keep him indoors, unless he had to use the bathroom. I had him at the new place for another month when he pooped all over my new comforter. I yelled at him and made him go in the basement for 10 minutes while I cleaned the mess up. After letting him out of the basement, he was very glum. He wouldn't nuzzle me with as much vigor and he went by the front door. I assumed he wanted outside so that he could finish using the bathroom. I let him out to do his business and he never came back. I still miss him 8 years later and will never forget my unique, sensitive Slyvester. Many cats later I still haven't found a cat like him. He was truely one of a kind. I will never know what happened to him or where he went. I searched high and low, but no luck. I can only pray for the best and hope he met a happy fate.
So, there's my little story. Hope you find your kitty!
I lost my beloved Bengal in February of this year. Her name was Takarra Tola and she was 7 months old when she died. It was my fault completely that we lost her and I still feel just awful about it. I was doing laundry and our washer was in the bathroom and the dryer was in my room. I took 1/2 the cloths out to throw them in the washer and went back for the rest of them. Takarra was sleeping on the cat tree in the living room and I never thought she might get in the dryer when I was switching cloths. She did though. I should have looked and I did check to see if the Siamese were on the bed, but I didn't look inside and see if any were inside or go see if she was on the cat tree before I hit the start button and left for my niece's birthday party. When I got home, she was already dead.
I still cry over it and think about what I could have or should have done differently. I miss her all the time, especially when I look at my two 5 month old Bengals. Takarra was a perfect cat and I wish every day that I could do that day over again.
If you read this, please think twice about things like the dryer that can quickly kill your sweet cat. It takes two seconds to look inside to make sure no one is in there. Trust me, two seconds is much better than a lifetime of pain and regret.
Chanda
my cat was 2 years
female
she never did come back
I got a call saying that they had found her dead at the side of the road and that they had buried her but I wasent allowed to see the grave. I believe they kept her.
she was both and indoor and outdoor cat. She always found a way out. She was also declawed and that was the last time I did that. I figure if a cat gets out they will need there claws for protection. I would put up flyers around the neighborhood with a pic of the cat and your telephone number. good luck in finding your lost baby!
I lived in Arizona... On the move out there I found a kitten at a gas station and "adopted" him... He always wanted to be outdoors since he was a wild cat, but he always came back at night. One day he didn't come back, and I never saw him again. He was about 9 months old when he vanished.
I don't know if he got hit by a car... If someone else took him in... We lived in the desert so it is possible he got eaten by a coyote, or a snake, or stung by a scorpion.
I wish you luck with your cat though. If your cat comes back you should consider getting a tracking implant chip... That way if someone finds him they'll know who he belongs to and will contact you.

No comments:

Post a Comment