Friday, July 31, 2009

Anyone out there have experience with pets who've gotten the big "C" from second hand smoke?

my kitten is 11 months old, he is so sweet.
one of my roommates smokes and I've told them I wish they wouldn't do it around my kitten however last week my worst fears came to life:
my kitten had a hacking episode so I took him to the vet. They did some tests and an examination, in the end they prescribed an antibiotic and said if that doesn't improve his breathing then they'll have to do an x-ray. They said they suspect cancer but they want to try this med before they do the x-ray
-I got a second opinion and they agreed
I know the best thing I can do is to put some air purifiers around the house, keep smoke free areas for the cat to hang out in, and groom him more often (so if he gets any residue in his fur, he won't ingest it during grooming)
I've worked with animals my whole life and I've faced death and disease many times; I'm even applying to college to become a vet tech..
yet, I'm scared
I love this cat..I just need some emotional support; does anyone else have a similar story?
ty
Answers:
I think you should move out. Do you think your feline is the only one at risk? You saw it happen to him, so it could just as easily happen to you as well. Unless you stop this situation, you could end up just like your poor kitty there.
I doubt he got cancer from the second hand smoke as young as he is. If he is coughing, I would think he has asthma.
What made them think cancer? What did the blood work show?
The cancer is probably not caused by the smoke. since the kitten is only 11 months old the smoke couldn't have caused cancer that quickly. although I'm sure the smoke isn't great for its heath i doubt that it caused cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment