Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Advice for taking care of cats?

I just got a kitten from a lady I know. He is around 8 weeks and I need to know how to take care of him. I have a cardboard box with a plastic bag and litter for him untill I can get a real litter box and I have food and water. Also what kind of litter, food, etc. do you recomend? And what about cat toys?
His name is snow.
Answers:
Cute name! I like it. Well, don't wait too long to get the 'real' kitty litter box, because that box won't last long. You will have a super mess! I give my cat Purina kitten chow. He is going to get that brand for a year. I do NOT give any of my animals wet food. Only dry. I feel that the moist/wet food is just expensive, and addictive. I think they do just fine with dry food. I am going to stick with the Purina brand food for my 6 month old cat. Don't give snow milk, dry or wet. It 'really' isn't good for them. Stay away from it! The vet told me this. Mine just gets water, and always make sure that there is always water available for him.
As far as kitty litter goes. I use Tidy cat. Its not as expensive and does the job. Actually, they don't need all those fancy brands. They are just money making, lure people in jazz. Toys. my cat loves the balls with bells inside. Carries them all over. Good luck with snow. You will find that he will be good company for you. Hey, take care. Have a good day.
I'm in Australia, so not sure what kind of food you guys have in the US. I prefer to feed my kitten a mix of Iams and Science Diet dry food - he loves the taste, and it's keeping him really healthy.
In terms of toys, but your kitten something he doesn't have to struggle to play with - make sure they're quite lightweight, and easy for him to throw around. We got our kitten a couple of tiny mouse toys when we first started out, and worked up to giving him bigger toys.
If you know any handymen/women, see if they'll help you make a scratch pole. You can easily find spare wood peices, and have a look around for people spring-cleaning - it's not that hard to find some carpet off-cuts. All you need is a strong enough base to carry his weight, and some resilient carpeting for him to get hiss claws into!
Good luck, have fun!
You probably want to get him in to see the vet for a check up, make sure he doesn't have worms, and any shots he may need.
I used only the litter made out of recycled news paper.
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_d...
I am environmentally friendly! %26lt;3
Food, I am not sure about with that whole pet food cantamination scare. But you got the basics covered. : D I LOVE the name! %26lt;3
Get one of the bigger litter boxes so that it will grow with him and he will have enough room without splashing litter everywhere
Litter should be able to clump to you can easily scoop out poop and pee. Stick to unscented because a cat might not like the fragrance of scented. Scoop the litter everyday. Clean out the litter box at least one a week (provided you scoop daily).
For cat toys your should stay away from things that contain foil and strings because cats can choke on these things. Use toys that contain catnip. You can make toys from things around your house. My cat loves the plastic thing you peel off a milk cap. Make sure you get a scratching post, unless you don't mind a redecorated sofa. Put it in a place with heavy traffic, such as by the front door.
Honestly kittens will play with any and everything!!
We went to petco and bought a pack of cat balls and one of those feather things on a string and stick! Hades runs around with the feather thing in his mouth and Zeus runs after him playing with the stick! cute!
Back on topic
Try to get the litter with the least dust. I say try the all natural littler and we give dry science diet to our kittens too. it's full of all the thing they need and mine seem to like it.
cute name!

No comments:

Post a Comment