Thursday, July 30, 2009

Any good ways to keep a neighborhood cat away?

There's this black cat that comes by and attempts to attack my cats through the screen about once a day. It's actually left a few small holes and he/she really ruins my cats' moods for an hour or so afterwards. When it comes to the screen door I go out the side door and hose it and spray it with a squirt bottle when it comes to the side door and that's a great temporary fix... but it still comes back the next day. I have no clue who this cat belongs to, but it looks well fed so I don't think it's a stray. I really don't know what to do about it and I'm sick of it coming around... Any HUMANE ideas? My cats are both male but FIXED.
Answers:
Boil habenero peppers into a quart of water and spray the window ledges and screens with it every few days.
there are sprays u can put around ur garden to keep cats away, i think because of the smell. so try using that around ur house or something they dont like to smell.
try sprinkling mothballs around your property. we had a problem with cats pooping in our flowerbed and we tried the mothballs. it really worked but they disintegrate after time so you may need to replace them but the cat may be trained to stay away by then.you`ll need plenty but they`re very inexpensive and you can find them in the household isle. like with clothespins and such.good luck!
there is a product from a company called beaphar that looks like cloth lollipops that give off an odour that keep cats away (worked in my garden) the product is called repers.
the other way is to get a live animal trap,catch the animal and drop it off at the animal shelter. the responsible owner will have to pay a bigger and bigger fine the more it happens till they decide to keep it inside.
i find that owners that allow their cats to wonder and cause trouble for neighbours are just irrisponsible.
i have a cat ,she is allowed out but will NOT leave my yard. it took effort to train her but she is worth that effort
My parents had flower garden when I was growing up and the neighbor cat loved to use it as a glorified bathroom. They went to a local flower shop and were given Coyote Urine in a bottle to put in and around the flower garden to keep the cat away and that worked. Now it does smell a bit so I do not know if you would want to use that but you could go and ask either a pet store or vet what they suggest. Other than that the only other think I can think of is to train your cats not to go by the door which is very unfair to them so I would try the other suggestion first. BEST OF LUCK!
Grab a Halloween mask, go outside when the cat is near, and chase the cat in circles. Or you could just use an air horn.
DO NOT USE MOTHBALLS, they can be poisonous to animals and humans.
Get a motion sensor water squirting frog. Leave it where the cat travels and it will learn to avoid your house.

No comments:

Post a Comment