Thursday, July 30, 2009

Aggressive cat! - Need advice?

My cat was abused and abandoned and moved in with me gradually about eight years ago. We've been together ever since. However, despite getting her over her mistrust of humans, I haven't been able to do a thing about her essentially aggressive way of biting/scratching when petted. Mostly she's fine and loves to lie on my lap, or on my legs when I'm in bed...she is very loving and sweet...but she has moments of sheer aggression and sometimes when I wake up she is glaring at me with absolute malice! True, this doesn't happen very often...it's happened about five times in the past year...but I'm not sure how to get her over this. I never hurt her or smack her, or abuse her in any way. Help!
Answers:
My ex's family took in a stray. She was fine for a few years but ended up becoming aggressive just like your cat has done. One reason your cat scratches or bites while being petted is she is just tired of the human contact. The cat my ex's family took in was finally "put down", which I was upset about. But it wasn't my cat, so I really couldn't say anything. All I know is, when they took the cat to the vet to complain, he said the cat would continue to get wilder and wilder.
What I recommend is talking to your vet. There are a lot of options now that weren't available then, including medication to reduce your cat's anxiety without changing her essential personality.
I'd also talk sharply to her when she glares at you. It's what cats do to show aggression to each other. You need to let her know that you are in charge. Just say something like, "That is enough. Either calm down or go away." The words aren't what is important, but your tone is what is important. Think like what tone you'd use for a kid that just hit another one. It worked with a stray I took in.
First, get a Feliway Comfort-Zone plug-in...it sends cats pheromone "messages" that calm %26 soothe.
Do you leave her alone alot? I really don't get the "looking at you with malice" thing...U sure??

No comments:

Post a Comment