Friday, July 31, 2009

Any tips to stop cat and kitten eating each other's food?

My 1 year old cat (Morrissey) is now ready to go on adult food, but we have an 11 week old kitten (Pixies) who is obviously on kitten food. The kitten food is making Morrissey put on a little weight because of the extra calories.
Keeping them separate at feeding time doesn't really work, since they eat little bits all day long!
I've tried feeding Morrissey on a high surface so Pixies can't get to his food, but he forgets where his food is or just gets down and eats Pixies' food! ;-)
Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
xx Emmie
Answers:
Always put their dishes in the same place keep an eye on them if they eat from the wrong dish, and say "no" and move to the right dish. They soon get the message.
Of course that doesnt stop them trying it on when you leave the room.
umm take and shut them in seperat bedrooms for a coulple of days the will get the idea
Invest in a small animal cage (or one of those portable dog kennels) and set it up for the kitten. Put bedding in there and a little litter box and a place for food. Feed the kitten in the kennel and let her rest and feel safe in there. Let her run around the house and play with the adult cat, but around feeding time, lock her back up in her "room."
This has worked well for me and my addiction to adopting strays.
It's okay for the adult cat to eat kitten food. Its actually healthy because the kitten food has more vitamins and minerals. Nothing bad will happen. Just buy adult food and kitten food and just let him pick what to eat. Theres not really a big difference between the adult and kitten food. The kitten food just has smaller size pieces. I hope this helps!
get two different looking food bowls for them. Then feed them in different rooms. Eventually they will get it.
I never worried about it. I put one kind down and they all eat. I never had a fat cat. Oh yeah, mine always went out for fresh meat. lol Although, I have been left alot of wonderful gifts by my loving cats. One cat left me a small rattle snake on my front step as an extra special present, it was almost completely dead when I was so SURPRISED by the little rattler and the quick finish of my cat waiting there to see my joy at her wonderful gift.
Ive been in this situation. The only way is to feed them in seperate rooms. This can cause a problem in the future though, if you try to have them eat together they may get territorial. My vet told me it wasn't a big deal if they ate each others food.
use a form of punishment when cat eats its food, maybe a tazor gun , couple of times and it will soon learn what not to eat
take a **** in the kittens food
Don't give them the option of eating all day. If they have a regular feeding time they can establish a routine which is helpful. Put them in seperate rooms when feeding and if they don't eat the food when its down take it away. You could give them treats if they want food in between meals.
Great names , btw!!
Make a small box that only Pixie (We got a pup with same name :-). ) can get into to get her food, just a cardboard box with a real small hole in it and selotape it shut all around and hey presto little kittie box that u unselotape to put food in, then put morrissey's food up on a high surface like u'v already tried to stop little kittie eating adult food.
Cats need about 35% protein in their foods to keep their bodies in shape, check the levels in the food you currently are feeding the older one.
If you're home lots, stop free feeding and put the bowls down every 3 or 4 hours in separate rooms, with the door closed so one of them can't get to the other's food. Offer food every few hours and take the bowls up after that.
Hi Emmie,
I had the same problem with my cats! The older one was meant to be on special kidney diet but she was always wanting to eat the kitten's food. The kitten liked to nibble at the older one's food. Both of them are "nibblers" and because I am out much of the day I find it difficult to feed them set meals.
I tried putting the plates in separate places. This worked only for a while. Also I tried telling the older cat off for eating the kitten food. This only worked when I was around!
I like what Bex D suggested. Unfortunately I didn't think of that at the time but I think this would work, at least while Pixie is a lot smaller than Morissey. By the time Pixie gets too big for this method she should be a lot older. It wouldn't be long before you would take her off the kitten food and my feeling is that by then it probably wouldn't be too serious if they eat a little of each other's food.
chirpy

No comments:

Post a Comment