Thursday, July 30, 2009

Allergic to cats...help me out?

My girlfriend and I have been together for 3 years and have lived together for the last 2,and her sister is also staying with us. Between my girlfriend and her sister they have 4 cats [2 each]. But Im allergic to cats,so my nose is always stuffed up,and my eyes get puffy but she loves these cats,and although Im not a pet person I got used to them and love them as well. I dont want to have her get rid of them because weve had them forever,and shes had cats since she was born. I already take Claritan,and sometimes cold and flu medicine,but nothing works. Any advice?
Answers:
Clean, clean, and clean again !! Vacuum at least once a week, and have them groom the cats. Frequent bathing is not a good idea for the cats... just need to brush them and then wipe them down with a damp washcloth. Dust the house weekly as well. And have them scoop the litter box daily !! And with 4 cats, I would scoop the box/boxes twice a day. Also try to keep the cats off your bedding. I know that's a hard one but it can be done.
I have always had the same allergic reactions you described when I'd be around my friend's and family's and neighbour's cats... but then I got my own kitty and it was a different story. She is short haired, and I clean weekly, and scoop daily, and groom the cat. I have almost no allergic reaction to her at all.
Hoover daily, bathe the cats once a week to keep down the dander, groom them daily and get a hypoallergenic air filter, talk to your DR about alergy meds.
You might try something stronger. Vacuum daily, brush the cats and get a hypo-allergic filter. bathing the cats would help if possible.
i have the same problem.my boyfriend has a cat that im allergic too but i fell in love with him and don't want to get rid of him now....you may need perscription medication to help out but the best thing ive found is to completelly keep the cats out of your bed room.sounds weired but it helps..im sure that if your girlfriend loves you she can deal with not having the cats in one room of the house..
when the cats come around, try to go away. maybe going outside a bit. maybe if you went out with your girlfriend so you could be away from the cats. just to the park and a nice moonlit walk. romantic stuff to stay away from the house. have you told her youre allergic?
My sister has the same problem. We had to give MY cat to my grandfather. I really miss her. Try medications. Allergy medicine.
1) The only thing that will take care of your allergies even semi-permanently would be allergy shots. They can wear off eventually but they're usually good for a few years at least. You've got to do a series of them as often as twice a week depending on what your doctor decides. Some insurances will pay for the shots, some won't. If you end up having to pay for them, maybe your girlfriend could put up some money towards the bill since they're her cats, only fair?
2) Also if you can't or won't do that method, a supplement called quercitin could help lessen your reaction. Allergies are an immune system over-reaction and quercitin helps your immune system to "calm down" and deal with the important stuff!
3) There's a pet product called the "Magic Glove" or something like that. It looks like an oven mitt with rubber nubs on one side: you brush the cat with it and it picks up excess hair and dander. It works great for long-haired cats but will work with short-haired too.
4) You probably already know this but wash your hands after petting or touching the cats and before rubbing your nose or eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment