Friday, July 31, 2009

Anybody here have a cat that had the radioactive iodine treatment?

Or a vet that can give me advice. My boy is having it tomorrow and staying at the clinic for a week. He normally has the run of the house here and I'm worried about what to do with him once he comes home and I'm not really supposed to touch him or have him sleep on bedding or anything. Do I just lock him in a room and sterlize everything once the danger period is over? Of course I'll talk to the vet about it but does anybody here have any advice?
Answers:
I had it done for my cat. If you can...purchase a crate. Midwest makes them and you can purchase them at pet food centers. I would get one big enough so your baby can sleep, eat, and have a litter box. And move around. this way he can be in your room with you at night as well. You can touch your cat afterwards. The iodine gets excreted in the feces. That is what you have to handle with gloves. It is just a precautionary measure. Myself...I knew the amount of radioactive iodine was so minuscule that I just put it in a bag and threw it in the garbage. I also sent a shirt I slept in for her when she was away and her favorite food. But don't sent too much, cause you won't get it back. My Dr said Stephanie...She is not going off to summer camp. Please take some of this stuff home. LOL He will be fine and I hope for his sake it takes. Let me know and I hope I helped you out.
Hi
Just wondering if you have tried tghe pills first. They usually work for hyper t. Also if your cat is staying over with the vets for a week, the radiation shou;d be gone by the tme he gets home As I said the pills and a change of diet usually work.

No comments:

Post a Comment