Thursday, July 30, 2009

Any thoughts on the cat in the nursing home that supposedly can predict death of residents?

This is an interesting story and I am wondering if any one has had any similar experiences.
I am not a cat person but when my children were young at their request I saved a straving very sick kitten. That cat adopted me as his Person. He would follow me out to the car every morning when I left for work. And when I came home no matter what time it was or whether I was early or late he would be sitting there at the same spot waiting for me.
My wife and my children got to where they knew when I was coming home because "Patches" would get up and run out to the drive way. I have no idea how that cat knew I was coming home but he was always there. Darnest thing I have ever seen.
Answers:
I had a very similar cat years ago. Like Patches, I adopted a stray kitten (he was close to dying when I found him) and nurtured him back to health. As he grew older, he always stayed by my side. When we'd go out, he'd always sneak inside the car when he knew I was inside too (and he wouldn't when I wasn't). When I'd arrive home, he'd lie in the middle of the driveway so I'd go out of the car and carry him with me. But he also knew if the family car arrived without me in it, and you couldn't even count on him to come out and greet whoever came home. He just sensed me, I believe.
If I couldn't find him anywhere, I'd just tap on my thighs and he'd come running. My other family members tried it, but my cat just ignored them. Weird isn't it?
I guess it's not that hard to believe that some animals can sense things that normally people or other animals cannot.
Cats are smart!..My father-in-law went through some chemo treatments and everyday his cat would lay beside him or on his chest..They NEVER got along before he started treatment..he would lay there with him all day long..When my father-in-law got better, he went back to his normal self..Unfortunately, they had to put him down 2 months ago at the age of 18..but I believe they sense that something isn't right.
One of my cats will always come sit on my lap and not want anything when I'm sad or stressed out. He can sense that i'm not doing well and just comes to comfort me. Any other time he comes to me he's just wanting my full attention or he's hungry. So to me it's not that suprising. Cats are just funny like that I guess.
Cats have amazing intuition. My cat Sam is a total snob...Unless I'm sad or hurt. He comes over and nudges me and licks my arm or forehead until he's sure I'm ok... Then he goes back to being a snob. lol
My neighboor's cat could hear her car coming from a long ways away, and she would dash outside. She was always right. I guess cats have interesting hearing abilities. : P
I thought he was amazing, Oscar the "Grim-Reaper Cat" as he was dubbed, and sweet at the same time. Spending some nurturing last moments with dying patients was very touching and almost sad to me. I'm sure the patients' families must appreciate Oscar doing that. You never know, the cat could have an almost "supernatural" ability to sense death. My cat can understand my family's emotions, and maybe Oscar could almost understand death coming the same way.
My cat has tendency to come to us when we fell down. He'll rub us and purr and sit by us. As I said, cats understand people a lot better than others. Hey, ya never know!
Yes that cat knows when death is coming for the old people...it is kind to keep them company while they leave this life...I love cats...
Cats have very sensitive senses of smell - it's theorized that what Oscar is doing is smelling the physiological shutdown process that leads up to death, and that's how he can tell. Now the reason that he goes and curls up next to them, I think that's because he cares, in his own way. He might not show it when they're up and about, but think about where he lives - the patients there have advanced dementia, they could hurt him without meaning to so he avoids them. But once they're close to death, he can safely approach.
As for your cat - maybe he was recognizing the sound of your car's engine? Even we humans, with much duller senses of hearing than cats, can tell the difference between cars if we really listen.
Of course, this is all theory - for all I know, they could both be psychic! I know that I had a cat who could always tell when I was sick or upset and he'd come running for a hug, even though he wasn't much of a cuddler usually.
I think they have a sixth sense about certain things. My cat always knows when I'm sad, he comes and sits on my lap and "kisses" me until I feel better.
Cats are awesome.
animals have another sense we dont. i've heard this type of story before. where animals owners are dying and their animals are right by their side during their last hours and all that. I know my cat knows when i'm sick with fever and also when i'm down in the dumps. She is a meany, but when i'm not feeling well she lays with me and lays on my chest and purrs. She is more affectionate when i'm sick.
Like many other intelligent animals, cats fit right in there. They can open cabinet doors, draws and even your front door. They tell you when it's 5:30 AM in the morning for breakfast and 3:00 PM for dinner.
My cat seems to know when I'm coming home too. With my cat it's probably more that it's dinner time than anything else. So dogs aren't the only greeters. That's not to say cats are better than dogs. I personally think cats and dogs are pretty much on equal par with one another. They both can be trained, seem to have that sixth sense if there's anything wrong in the household, both need our love and attention and the need to be taken care of. and they will take care of us and we don't even have to ask.
I believe both cats and dogs know when death is near, because they're survivalists.
Death is part of life. They too mourn just like we mourn the loss of a loved one. Like I said earlier they are people pleaser's so why wouldn't they know that death is imminent and want to help with someones passing and make them comfortable as we have made them comfortable.
I believe this is a natural occurrence with animals. Maybe we just don't notice or look hard enough.
The owner's of this cat, can be very proud that they can share their cat with those in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment