Friday, July 31, 2009

Anybody have problems with cats peeing on carpet.?

I am losing my mind. I have the sweetest cat in the entire world, the sweetest, but he pees. I have tried everything. Please help. I need help with getting the smell permanently out and with getting him to stop. He is neutered and there are no medical problems as I had him checked out. He is just being an idiot. Please help.
Answers:
This is just an idea I don't know if it'll work. After getting the caret professionally cleaned, try putting the litter box over the area where the cat keeps peeing. Leave it there for a week or so, then day by day move it over an inch until its where you want it to be.
I don't know why cats do this. But it is the worse thing about cats because their pee, unlike a dog's pee, stays forever. My cats did this when they were kittens. It seems like they kept going back to the same spot because they coudl smell the pee. So, you really have to get it out. I think the best thing to do is to call a professional carpet cleaner to do it. Then maybe the cat will get the message that the box is the place to go. Make sure you always keep the box clean. If it's too dirty, they won't go in it.
This can be an intractable problem. It's one reason why I won't own another cat.
There is a retail store here that has a spray called Skunk Out. They also have one called Odor Out that is a stream you spray on. I KNOW the Skunk Out works. You might try saturating the area with it and washing it up. Use a carpet cleaner if it is carpet. I use it on my puppy's mishaps. There is never any odor left. There is a spray that you can spray around the area it keeps going to that it really won't like, but I think you have to spray it every few days. There are several products in our store here for odor. That is just the one that I tried. Good luck.
He may be marking his territory. My sister's male cat, Simon, was doing the same thing, but on the bed! He did have a urinary infection that was checked out twice, before it was caught. As for the smell, Pet Smart has a wonderful item that cleans and deodorizes the floor.
try showin yur cat that is wrong to pee on the carpet. show him where he should be peeing.
hes marking his terrotory he might smell another cat aroudd and hes telling them that its his turff
You have my sympathy. Inappropriate elimination is a frustrating, yet common, situation.It is the number one reason for owners giving up their pets. I am glad you are trying to work this out. Good on you for having him medically checked out. First, lets look at where he is going. You said a carpet. Is it one spot or several? An enzymatic cleaner will help remove the odor even he can smell, and that smell is drawing him back there. You may need to remove the carpet to get all the smell that soaked into the padding. How old is he? Does he ever use the litterbox? Did you change litter (new type)? Did something happen in the litterbox to scare him ie: someone or another pet scare him? loud washer kicked on?... Next, is the litterbox kept clean enough for him? Some cats are very picky. How many cats and litterboxs do you have and where are they located? (2 cats should have at least 2 litterboxs to choose from). Some cats even like one to defecate (poop) in and one to urinate in. Is the box big enough for him? Also, some cats don't like a covered litter pan because of smell and confinement issues. It could be "substrate preference". You can try putting a piece of carpet with very little litter in your box to retrain him since he seems to prefer carpet. You can place it in his preferred soiling area. Add more litter over time. Once he is using the box consistently, you can SLOWLY! move the box over several days to where you prefer. Feeding and playing with him in the area he usually goes may put him off that spot. I hope some of these suggestions help. Keep trying different combinations till you find one you can both live with! GOOD LUCK!!
My cat has also been neutered but her still tries marking his territory, which is I expect what yours is doing. I have cleaned the area thoroughly and have put down some stuff called wash and get off. I kept putting it down every morning and evening for about a month but he finally gave up.
Cats often do this if they:
a) don't have a private place for their litter box. Some cats are crazy about privacy
b) their litter box isn't big enough
c) they want two litter boxes

Seems annoying but trust me, these are generally the reasons for cats doing that if there aren't underlying medical reasons
As far as the smell in concerned, try Nature's Maid. If that doesn't work, then replace the carpet. I'd suggest you reconfigure the room so as to put something on his "favorite" place or at least block access.

No comments:

Post a Comment