Friday, July 31, 2009

Anyone else's cat terrified of aluminum foil?

Just curious. I have a cat that takes off running and hides anytime I get out aluminum foil. I feel bad every time I need to use it.
Answers:
My cat runs every time we take out a new garbage bag to put into the trash can. It's mostly the noise. Cats often have more than one noise they react to. My cat is also terrified of our vacuum and of the sound of aluminum foil being ripped by the box. I wonder what it sounds like to him that he get so anxious? Maybe there's a primitive nerve in their auditory system that is used for protection in the wild but becomes sensitive to their home even when domesticated.
I found the article below very informative.
mabie, but my dog is!
my cat does too.
she doesnt like the sound as its loud and shes scared of any loud noises. also i dont think she likes it as it kind of reflects and she hates any type of mirror
Yes, it is a common fear! Some people put it on their kitchen counters to keep the cats off.
My cat hates it, too. It worked to train him from hopping on the counter tops and furniture. It's the sound the tin foil makes when it's scrunched up that annoys them...
I must own a freak of a cat, any time we have sweets/cakes with foil or take out the tinfoil my cat goes into "pounce" position, she waits for it to be scrunched up into a ball and thrown so she can play fetch.
yes our 2 cats are also afraid of aluminum foil.
what we do is at xmas time we put it under the xmas tree under the skirt it keeps them from playing in and under the tree it workes
I have heard this before. I have never had a problem with this though, actually my cat like to play with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment