Friday, July 31, 2009

Anyone have their cat cremated?

Did you do anything with the ashes?
Answers:
Yes we did. He's in the little white square box we were given, we didn't do anything with the ashes (actually they're bone fragments not ashes). He's on our book case. It hurts too much for me to open the box, but my significant other wanted to keep him.
I have not had a animal cremated yet but will deffinitely will be cremating my bottle fed cat that is now 4 years old and he will be buried with me when I die. I love him to death and he loves me. The first thing he saw when he opened his eyes was me so we have a incrediable bond. Thats my plan!!
I've had special pets cremated. When I did so, the company made me a plaster "paw print" to keep, gave a certificate with it, and gave me the ashes in a nice wooden box with a nameplate of the pet on it, and a little padlock to keep unwanted hands out of the box. It's definitely worthwhile if you want to do it and can afford it. Usually the cost goes by the pets weight.
We buried her ashes in our yard and got a little marker with her name on it.
I never had a cat cremated, but I did have my dog cremated. I have his ashes in an urn that looks like a fire hydrant with a picture of him on the outside of it.
I loved that guy and I also got a tattoo of him when he passed away.
we had our boxer cremated. He's still in the box we got from the creamatory. My daughter takes tehbox down once in awhile andlooks at it, it makes her feel better.
I had my dog and rabbit cremated. They were given back to me in beautiful carved wooden boxes. They also gave me both pets paw prints in a light weight cement as well as cut a lock of their hair and put that in separate beautiful stone boxes with inlay colored stones in a soft flower pattern. So beautiful as well as very much appreciated. Right now I have my pets in a private area of my house which is lined in velvet. I put in my Will that I want them buried with me when the time comes. Making a decision like this whether it is a pet or a loved one that was cremated is very personal. Just as long as the ashes are safe, take all the time you need to make up your mind as to their final resting place. Good Luck!
I bury my cats. that way I can visit but not see it every second of every day. If I had my cat cremated and kept the ashes I think i'd be sad all the time.
I had my cat cremated at a vet hospital that does individual cremations. I chose this place very carefully.
I was very torn between choosing cremation or burying my cat at the pet cemetary operated by the vet hospital. I decided that I was more comfortable with the cremation. I have her ashes in a beautiful handmade stained glass urn. The urn has an inscription on it and holds her photo behind glass. Above the area that holds the ashes is a place to hold small keepsakes; I have a clipping of her fur (I took this clipping before she was euthanized) and a couple of her whiskers that I had saved from when she was alive. I still miss her very much, and having her ashes with me brings me comfort.
My cat previous to that cat was buried in my parents' backyard.
Are you trying to make a decision? I can answer any questions you have.
Yeah, you can. My dog was cremated.
Yes, we had our cat, "Piglet", cremated. He was a very special guy and it just seemed wrong to have him disposed of by the vet.
He's in an urn in my top drawer.
He lived on a shelf in the livingroom for a while. We have a great picture of him and his urn sat just behind the photo. Unfortunately, he's not safe there since our son was born. Our son is a WILD MAN and a future mountaineer. Piglet would have loved him.
Someday, when we find just the right spot, we may scatter his ashes. Or when my son settles down, he'll probably go back on the shelf with his photo.
Geeze I miss that guy.
I did not even know that you could have you pet cremated. I have heard of people stuffing them, putting them in the ground, but never have I heard of this one. Cool idea though! As far as what would I do with the ashes, I think I would just let the wind take them to wherever they wanted to go.
If you have had your cat cremated, my heartfelt condolences to you. I have just gone thru this myself.
I had my beloved Maybelle cremated but I haven't done anything with her cremains yet. They are still in the box from the crematory. It has only been two weeks since she crossed the bridge.
I, too, want to have my cats and dog (Chihuahua) buried with me when I die. So I am trying to come up with a unique way to keep them, but maintain each pets individuality. My plans for now are to copy a picture and tape to the box Maybelle's cremains are in. The crematorium here has a blue velour bag that is embroidered with "Till we meet at the Bridge". I am not sure if I will go back and get one of those and personalize it with her name and dates or if I am going to make one myself.
I have also been looking on eBay at a couple of different styled urns. The first is an angel with cats, the number is 110137003603, and the second is a rotating picture urn, number 200069012691, if you want to see them.
There are so many choices for urns or other memorial keepsakes. There are the standard urns in wood, glass, ceramic, stone, etc, and most can be personalized. Then there are urns designed especially for pets. The service here even has an urn that looks like a mantel clock.
You can get jewelry in many shapes that hold a small amount of cremains. You can even have gems (zircons) made using some of the cremains. You can have some of the cremains blown into glass...some for jewelry and some as globes for display.
Maybelle had been ill for over 2 years and I have another cat that is diabetic, so I started planning, because I knew when the time came I would be in no shape to make any logical decisions.
I hope these links give you some ideas.
Purrs and Prayers
I had my cats ashes cremated through the company my vet is affiliated with. the ashes came in a small wooden box with a padlock on it and a certificate of authenticity. its a simple box but it came with a beautiful poem on the certificate. i keep it on a bookshelf next to a picture of her and her buddy cat (who's still living) with her collar hanging on it. i thought about burying the ashes in the backyard, but i feel nice knowing she's nearby... that and sometimes my current cat will paw at the picture of the two of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment