Monday, May 24, 2010

Can a vet tell me how old my cat is?

My brother found the sweetest cat last year out in the country and gave him to me. He was neutered and declawed so we think somebody dumped him :( My brother took him to his vet and got him his shots but his vet didn't mention how old he thought he was.
Anyway, he's happy as can be now but I wonder how old he is. If I took him to a vet, do you think they could tell me?
Answers:
Yes they can. The one cat we got was a stray (we think he got kicked out of his house during winter time) and we took him to the vet and gave us an aproximate age of 2 1/2 - 3 years old (we took it as 2 1/2 it made more sense). I don't know how they tell, but they can. The can also do it with dogs and most other animals. Its so nice of you to take in a stray cat. Most cats get left behind and never find a home.
Yes, they should be able to give you a general idea of his age.
A vet should be able to give you a ballpark figure by looking at the tartar build-up %26 wear on his teeth.
Usually. If it's a kitten, it's easier. but with a cat, they can't be 100% sure, but they can give you a pretty good guess, judging by his health. I had a cat who was such a mess (healthwise) that the vet swore he was 5 years older than he actually was.
yes they most deffinatly will be able to they can tell usually by their teeth.
I have 2 cats and the vet should be able to tell the age of a cat by examinig it. you should ask though on the next visit.I also think that they could do blood test for this matter, but ask how much it costs first
Yes, a vet can tell from looking at the age of the cats teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment