Friday, May 21, 2010

Best flea medication for kittens?

I am about to get a kitten who is about 10 1/2 weeks old... the whole litter has fleas. It is just now able to handle the flea medications. What is the best way to get rid of the fleas quickly? I really don't want fleas in my apartment. I know there are tons of sprays and shampoos out there... has anybody had any experience with this and know something that really works? Thanks in advance for your help!! :)
Answers:
Frontline and advantage.Stay away from department store flea medications such as hartz, bio spot, zodiac etc...they have bad bad reactions even to the point of seizuring. Theres also something called capstar which is oral and starts killing fleas within 5 mins but can only be bought through vets.
Call your local veterinarian and get some ADVANTAGE. Over the counter stuff does not work. A vet can also do a flea dip. The powders and other stuff does not work completely, but it may get rid of some, and you need to be careful not to put too much on it or it will kill the kitten.
To get rid of the fleas that are on them right away a product called Capstar is fantastic. You can get it from your vet. It's a pill that will kill all the fleas almost immediately and you can start monthly preventative such as frontline at the same time.
Advantage is great! If she's going to go outside at all, use Advantage Multi. It protects against heartworms and other worms as well as fleas. Cats get heartworms, too!
Hi there I love animals, and if I were in your position I would go to the vet, and let them give you the medication like frontline. When you have cleared the fleas make sure to buy a flea collar. It will help keep away those nasty pests.
I really like Frontline Plus. It gets rid of the fleas that are on him at the moment and then repels ones that try to make him itch later. They Have ones specially made for cats so they are specialized. It actually works. Try it! here is the link:
http://frontline.us.merial.com/home/...
hope I helped!
I had a really bad flea infestation last year and the way I got rid of them is by a flea spray I bought in the store. I can't remember the name but it was to be sprayed on all the couches carpets and bedding. It worked as for the animals we used frontline on them and noticed a difference very quickly. We are flea free now ocassionally we see what but that happens when you have an animal going outside. Just make sure you keep up with the frontline every month to make sure the fleas don't take hold again.
Good luck
Frontline, but I dont know if they are old enough to use it. check with your vet :]
Hey I just got my kitty 4 days ago and he's the cutest. He was a stray and when I took him to the vet, he did indeed have fleas. I had to purchase "Advantage 9" made by Bayer. It's a 'flea adulticide.' It's a 4 month treatment you apply once a month. Within 24hrs, it does control the fleas after the first application. The remainder 3 applications are to further protect from infestations.
ANY good shampoo will kill the fleas.
I suggest you get Baby Shampoo *tearless* for a baby. Wash, and immerse baby totally in water to rinse x 2.
If you have trouble holding her, put her in a net laundry bag with the neck sticking out the 1/2 zipped up bag. She won't be able to jump/run nor claw you as bad.
My cat doesn't mind, but boy is he mad looking. When he gets out and buff dried, he runs and plays like a maniac !
Ohhhhh. tee-hee.. give a spray of Bath %26 Body works down her back and rub up %26 down - she'll smell good !
Since it is 10 weeks old, it needs to be wormed and its shots.
Because of the fleas, your kitten has been highly exposed to the cycle of tapeworms. . . . your vet will know.
When you go to the vet, get a couple of ' Capstar ' tablets which are tablets that make the fleas 'drop off like flies.'
Ask the vet about flea prevention for babies and about Revolution.
Since several DOG products MUST NOT be used on cats, ask your vet about that, too.
Don't get the cycle of fleas started in your apartment..what a mess that can be!
You will probably need to treat for worms x 2.

Neutering should not be done until she or he is over 1 year for her own health... UNLESS you have poor control over her and she will not be a total house cat. If you do not trust yourself or family in the apartment, get her neutered about 7 months of age.

Can you encourage the owners of the poor momma cat and kittens to treat them all and wash their bed and spray ? Shoot, just clean the area out, spray with Pinesol even would kill the fleas.
Poor things !
CONGRATULATIONS on your new kitten !!
Try Frontline
Hi,
Best is put some dish soup detergent on Cotton boll.Rab gentle on the animals.Then rinse with the watery cotton ball.I did learn from a veteran. I used on my cat and the kittins.Safe.Good luck.
OMG having the same problem RIGHT NOW as we speak. so annoying..anyways... I took my kitty to the groomers and got a flea bath...then put Frontline PLUS on it it. Meanwhile, I fogged our apartment, sprayed, washed sheets, vacuumed, etc. Brought kitty home. Every other day i Vacuum and wash clothes and sheets. I still found some fleas on him but i think its because of the pupa (flea in a cacoon that cannot be killed!) they hatch and jump on my kitty! but frontline, i think is working..i dont know..i have to give him ANOTHER flea bath in a month...maybe trim his fur a little so we can find the fleas better..then apply frontline again.
good thing were moving out in a month or two! UGH! i hate FLEAS! and i think theyre on my bed..im scared to go to bed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment