Monday, May 24, 2010

Can a female cat "not" go into heat?

I have a two year old female that that was the runt of her litter. We have not got her fixed yet since she has been an indoor cat and she has never done the dread "yowl" I remember well from my cat growing up. Well now we live in a townhouse and she has been pushing her way outside. It is time to get her fixed. But what I would like to know, she has never shown any signs of being in heat. She is also very anti social and doesn't like people. Could she just not be going through heat or just shy away for us not to notice because of her social anxiety. Also, can a cat spontaneously go into heat when outside or is it in a cycle?
Answers:
Cats are pretty sneaky about a heat cycle, especially if they are also shy cats anyway. Dogs have a much more obvious discharge... it's easy to miss a cat's cycle... that's how so many people end up with OOPS! litters. A friend of mine never noticed her cat in heat but wondered why every so often the cat peed in her laundry and hung out at the windows and doors. I told her she was probably in heat, and her vet confirmed it. They can come in as often as once a month, depending on the cat, and they can become pregnant again while still nursing a litter. Cats are REALLY prolific! I would get her spayed ASAP so you don't have the responsibility of placing kittens. Most shelters are absolutely overrun with cats and many now refuse to take them. I rescue street cats and after I've placed cats with everyone I know (and many live with me!), I've run out of places too, and it kills me to see them sick and on the streets. Unwanted kittens are so easy to prevent, and your kitty will be much happier and calmer! Did you know that queens (female cats) that keep cycling and don't get bred can even get sick?
I had to get mine fixed she was in heat every other week whining out loud and late at nite,she kept wrecking my blinds to try to get in the windows.I would say just get her fixed and you will never have to worry about it again,They help you if your on a fixed income,they pay for it.And now mine has all her rabies shots and the chip.Shes a much better cat to.
Unless there is an underlying medical condition, female cats go into heat in cycles. Typically, the cat wanting or getting outside is an indication that she is already in heat. I'm sure your cat has had her heat cycle before, it just went unnoticed.
Some human girls have very painful periods. I only have minor discomfort my first night. Some girls' periods last a week, mine are usually only 4 days. Some girls have a heavy flow.. other's dont.
Point is, everyone's periods are different. Same with cats.
Some cats go in heat, but don't desplay the excessive vocalizations and behaviors that others do.
Does NOT mean your cat hasn't been in heat.
Cats can go in the heat....i think?
i needed two points
=]
Some girls have "silent heats". I have had two breeding girls like this. Yes, they eventually go into heat and become very responsive to a boy when there is one available to them. Your girl will become social with the humans in her life when she is not dealing with invisible hormones.
Female Cats and Kittens,that aren't spayed go into heating,seeking a mate to have babies with.This process involves meowing loudly,moving about alot,and getting excited when a male approches.
The only way to prevent this is to get your cat/kitten spayed.This can be done by your local vet.Unless you want babies,I suggest you get your cat spayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment