Friday, May 21, 2010

Baby kitten question. I found a kitten. What can I do to save it?

This morning I went out to do some shopping. As I began to drive I saw a dead cat at my corner. She appeared to have been hit by a car and was splattered all over the road. Then I looked and I see something moving not that far away. It is a new born kitten. Its eyes aren鈥檛 even open and it can鈥檛 walk yet. I picked it up and now have it at home. What should I do with it? Obviously it needs to be nursed by a cat. Should I bring it to an animal hospital? They should be able to take care of it. Can I feed it some kind of formula and attempt to save it myself? The issue with that is I work all day. Right now it chirps, probably calling for its mother.
Answers:
local pet stores or vet offices should have a formula that is made for kittens. Take the kitten to a vet. To raise an orphaned pet is a very tiring but rewarding job. You also need to know that after you feed it you need to gently rub its genitals to make it eliminate or it will die.the mother does this for a few weeks after birth. Some vet offices may offer to take care of it during the day while you work. My vet did when I lost my dog after she had pups. Good Luck!!
I woulod get it to the doc as fast as possible but inthe mean time you can try some cream of wheat or some oatmeal water... poor mother that is so sickening. make sure the cream of wheat is not too thick.. and it is cool not hot at all.. room temperature. If you have an eyedropper to feed it SLOWLY that is good. Otherwise, a spoon is ok.YOu have to feed this kitten every 3-4 hours. And even in the night when you normally sleep.
I suggest u take it to the vet as soon as possible. It must be very hungry and prolly needs a lot of feeding to survive the next few days. The vet will suggest a nutrition and diet plan. Plz plz take it to the vet as soon as possible.
the best thing to do would be to take it to the vet they can give it some formula and maybe find an animal shelter to take care of it permanantly
at the moment i don't think it would be best for you to take care of it yourself as you say your at work all day it would soon die.
good on you for taking it in :]
best thing to do would be take it to the vet , just to get it all checked out n put ur mind at rest . i wish u n the kitten all the best u r a good person
I would get it to an emergency vet ASAP. They have formula and can take care of it. A newborn kitten needs around the clock care, if you work, I don't think you would have the time to take care of its needs.
By the way, you're a great person to look out for it like that. Good luck.
Yes take it right away to an animal hospital they ususally have nursing mothers and most cats foster other cats with no problem. It sounds like it's going to need to be fed every two hours on the clock and if your working you won't be able to do it. You are such a good person for saving this kitten, but now I'm wondering where the others are if the mother was crossing the street there could be more kittens starving in the area, please call your friends and ask them to help you look please just check the area. And you are such a good person for caring what goes around comes around and you deserve the best. And the person that hit the cat and just left it there how cruel is that.
I would take the little kitten into (vet) animal hospital right away, it's probably so hungry.
This kitten is going to need a lot of attention from you to survive and I hope that it does. The following is a link on how to take care of very young kittens so maybe it will give you some tips until you can get it to a veterinarian.
http://www.feralcat.com/raising.html...
You need to keep the kitty warm and get it to the vet STAT. Caring for a newborn orphan is a really intensive task. If you don't have a vet that works weekends in your town, you can pick up some kitten formula and a bottle from the pet store or farm supply store. Follow the directions carefully and don't forget to rub it's genitals to help it eliminate after feedings.
Go to the web site I listed below. It will give completed info on feeding, cleaning, and everything else you need to know. Good luck!
Get it to a vet ASAP and if you can't right away pet stores sell canned kitten formula and mini bottles with nipples.
take it to the vet a pay a little fine to have them take care of it
you can also find a cat expert to help u
Take it to the vet when you can,but you can buy formula for baby kitties at the pet store,and buy a tiny bottle to nurse the kitty.

No comments:

Post a Comment