Friday, May 21, 2010

Bitten by a cat!?

While cleaning cages yesterday for a shelter (I volunteer) one little kitten took a chunk out of my thumb.
I have never been bit to this degree! Most cats will scratch and give little warning nips, but that is it!
Anyway, the bite didn't require stitches, but I was told I should go to the Dr for a tetanus shot and antibiotics...is this true?
The cat is up to date on all HER shots.
Answers:
The fact that the cat is healthy from cat diseases is irrelevant to the possibility of your wound getting infected or the possibility of bacteria (like tetanus) getting through. The chance that something like that will actually happen is very small, even minimal. But the correct approach is to take all precautions, and these are indeed to take a tetanus shot and antibiotics for 4 days. And since you work at the shelter, you must be vaccinated for tetanus so that you don't have to get a shot every time. Personally, I have been bitten many times, and never bothered to do all these (shots and antibiotics), but I know that doctors say that you should. Anyway, make sure you disinfect the wound well.
You should get a tetanus shot for sure unless you've had one in the last 5 years. I don't think you would need antibiotics unless the bite is infected. You can probably put antibiotic ointment %26 it will be ok.
cat bites can get infected very easily. make sure you clean it out well. alcohol instead of peroxide, and a triple antibiotic ointment. if it is not getting better or shows signs of infection get to a doctor immediately. the infections caused by cat bites can spread fast and be very damaging or the skin, muscles and tissues around the bite.
Ever hear of cat-scratch fever? I actually had it. I was giving our farm cat a flea dip, and we all know how much cats love taking a bath - and he scratched me all up!
Well, I noticed a swollen bump under my arm about a week later and had to have surgery to remove it. It all went fine, but I would say to get it looked at to me on the safe side.
My cat wasn't always up to date on its shots because, well, it was a farm cat, and his only job was to keep the little critters away, which he did well.
Sadly, he met his fate to a coyote... but the last laugh was on him! He got hit by a car years earlier and we had steel hips joints put in and rods in the back legs, so the coyote ate a metal cat!
I know that was off topic - but it was a good cat, despite the one scratching incident.
yes at lesat the teanus shot. Keep the bite away from the air and greams.
GO TO DOCTOR QUICKLY
youre better go to take the tetanus vacine youll be on the safe site
You should go to the doctor right away. 90% of all cat bites get infected. If you wait to see if it will get infected, by the time the antibiotics have a chance to start working you will be very ill. I know this from personal experience. I was bit by a cat on the finger. He bit me down to the bone. I waited for 12 hours to go to the doctor and I was very ill. The doctor said if I had waited much longer he would have hospitalized me. I was very weak for about three weeks and I had a mad craving for red meat for six months. The red meat thing might have been a coincidence but it didn't happen until after I got bit. I think it was my body needing the nutrients from meat to recover.
It has nothing to do with whether the cat is up to date on her shots or not. A cat's mouth harbors lots of nasty bacteria and that is what causes the infection. Flushing with peroxide or alcohol or putting antibiotic ointment on it can't do the trick since it is a puncture wound and those things can't get as deep as the cat's teeth did. Go to the doctor. It's better to get treated and not need it than to wait and be very ill. I know. I've been bit three times and each time I've gone to the doctor sooner than the last and each time it has been easier to deal with.
For anyone that may be wondering, I'm not mean to cats. I love them. Twice was with two different cats. They were very excited during play and my hand got in the way. The third time my cat was going after my house shoes and attacked my leg in the process. I was watching TV and didn't even notice until her teeth were in my calf. Be more careful than I have been . It isn't fun getting bit.
my husband was bitten by a cat and he had to go to the doctor and he had to get a tetanus shot. his was so bad they said if the meds didnt work they was going to have to amputate his hand. the bite was so deep that it tore one of the muscles in his hand. he still has the scars from it. so if u havent u should go get a tetanus shot if urs isnt up to date. good luck and i hope u get better soon.
Please go to the doctor. I've had two cat bites get infected, it happens very quickly. I waited a day to go to the doctor with one of them, thought I could just do Neosporin and a band-aid, and ended up almost having to have surgery on my finger. You will need the antibiotics and tetanus if you haven't had one in a while.
Yes, definitely go to the doctor! Kittens have sharp teeth that can really get in there but cat bites are notorious for developing infections.

No comments:

Post a Comment