Friday, May 21, 2010

Biting Kittens?

I have two gorgeous 8 wk old ginger toms, who have great temperaments and are absolutely hilarious to watch, yet they both have their own problems.
One of them quite often sits on my shoulder - i call him my furry parrot - even when i am making a drink, doing my crafts, cooking, watching tv, whatever. He is very cuddly and loving, yet when he is really relaxed and purring like mad, he suddenly (while still sitting relaxed and purring) starts biting quite hard at my neck and cheek.
The other one is absolutely lovely too, he is cuddly when the other one isnt perched on my shoulder (he usually cuddles up with me when the other is asleep in the basket), he purrs whenever i stroke him or play, yet doesnt seem to want many cuddles off anyone. Also, he doesnt want to let his brother eat anything.
Yet both will curl on together on the sofa next to me.
How can 2 cats, brothers, be so different? Am i doing something wrong with them?
Answers:
Of course you're not doing anything wrong hun!
Are you like your brother or sister? I know that me and my sister are quite different, even though there's only a year between us! :-)
All kitties are different - that's the beauty of having 2; their unique personalities really shine through.
The biting is likely to be the result of a playful, inquisitive kitten who suddenly becomes enticed by the nearest thing to him (your neck!) and can't resist having a good chew! It's a complement to you - he is treating you as he would treat another kitten. Don't be upset - just quietly walk away or take him off you when he does it, to discourage him.
As for your other kitten not being as cuddly, this is just his personality. He may change as he grows. I've found that cats are quite different as adults to the way they were as babies! My 1 year old cat used to follow me around and sleep on my lap all the time - now he bites if you fuss him for too long (like most cats, I suppose!) and never sleeps on our laps. In fact, he can usually be found in another room enjoying some Morrissey Time! ;-)
In contrast, our 12 week old kitten is a little softy. She loves having her tummy stroked (Morrissey would bite our hands off if we even tried it!), loves being held and loves attention.
Is the second kitten you mentioned older than the first one? Usually the older kitten bosses the younger one around. Sometimes it can be the opposite - the younger one bullies the older one! Either way, usually there is a boss and an underdog in any multi-cat household; whether they are littermates or not.
My cat is the same way about food - he barges our kitten out of the way it he's finished eating and wants to eat her food. He also scoffs all food in sight in the morning when we let her out of her room. He is very selfish! But it is funny to watch!
Don't worry - you sound like you're doing a fab job. As time goes on they will develop their own relationship with each other and with you, and you will get accustomed to it.
The great thing about having two different cats is that you'll likely find that you get the best of both worlds. The less affectionate cats tend to be the bossy, hilarious, mischievious, playful ones (so you get all the fun from him) - whilst the soppy ones tend to be calmer and more relaxed (so you get all the affection from that one!)
xx Emmie
you must find jesus and make it soon. there are demons at work here. you made need a priest a real exorcist!
Not at all, all cats are very different, I have 3 and they are completely different in character. Teddy is loving and cuddles me, TC bites me and is a real handful, whilst Muffin will only let you fuss him when he wants it. They sound perfectly normal to me and you are obviously taking very good care of them.
my kitten and adult fixed tom like to help me do my crafts (cross stitching) so my threads get tangled up or suddenly disappear along with pencils and my scissors. they are totally different from the queen who is to aloof to be silly and doesn't put up with deliquent behaviour from her son and playmate. when bagheeras brothers and sister were here it was so easy to see the different personalities which is what you can see in your boys bagheera is also my furry lil parrot but so was his dad at the same age. i would say their behaviour is perfectly normal. with two hungry males and one female we have found we have to put down two bowls of everything else as otherwise she doesn't get anything
How Cute!
Cats sure do have different personalities.
Just love them for who they are.
One time I read when a cat bites you to sort of flick your finger at them, because that is what their mother does (bats them with her paw) and they will learn not to do it.
no you not doing anything wrong they are kittens and will be very naughty, my 10 week old kitten does that to, he is just playing a nd being sweet, and it really hurts and know how ya feeling, when they get older they will stop it.
You're doing nothing wrong at all! Cats, like humans, all have different personalities. I have 4 cats at home and they are all totally different to each other. Gizmo is my cat - barely acknowledges anyone else but me. Dave loves everyone - when he's awake. Polly is the independent cat, always out and about, and Crabbi-Patti is the grumpiest cat in the universe.
As they grow older, they will generally stop biting. Do you feed them out of the same bowl? separate bowls could be an idea, and feeding them in separate places would help. x

No comments:

Post a Comment