Sunday, August 2, 2009

Are there treatments for cats being depressed?

i am moving next monday to school and can't take my cats with me. i have two but i am more worried about the younger one aspen. both are rescues, and my older one is more tough and she's a diva so she won't miss me, but aspen follows me everywhere, loves being petted, played with, sleeps all over me all the time and runs between my legs trying to trip me because it's a game for her lol. they are staying here with my dad, so no change in environment except that i won't be there. they love my dad, but aspen doesn't have the same bond with him that she does with me. with her nature and people personality, i really think she's going to get depressed. i'll come back to visit often, but it's the not same. what can my dad to help her?
Answers:
It is impossible to say exactly what emotions cats feel, but when a close companion goes missing they are certainly aware of the absence and may search for that person or cat. It is unlikely that they mourn in the human sense of the word, but there will be some behavioural changes as they adjust to the gap in their lives.
As the cats will be staying on familiar territory with your dad, whom they already know and love this will help them feel reassured. Any items of yours that are still in the home will have your scent, which they may also find comforting. Cats are creatures of habit, so ask your dad if he can try not to change the daily household routine too much, as this will cause them additional stress. In your absence, your dad will become the primary caregiver, and this will strengthen the existing bond between him and your cats.
Hopefully both cats will be fine, especially as you plan to visit often. The web article "When Cats Grieve" contains information that you may find helpful.
http://www.messybeast.com/cat-grief.htm...
Cats would prefer to stay right where they are then to go with you.
Added:
The cat isn't depressed and isn't going to get depressed over you. Sleeping with you isn't a "bond" You are just in the way of where they want to sleep.
JR is right, cats really would rather stay in their home than move, that might make them get depressed.
I know from personal experience that cats can get depressed. My husband has 2 cats and travels for his work. He can only take one cat along. He's gone for extended periods of time (months). After he leaves the left behind cat mopes around like his human deserted him. I give him a lot of extra attention and play with him, but because of my allergies he can't sleep with me (they don't sleep with us anyway). Kitty has his own room with his own bed and kitty tree to climb, lots of toys and good food. It takes him a few weeks, but he eventually seems to be fine. When my husband returns with the other cat, the stay at home cat looks at them as if he thinks he should know them but isn't sure. It takes a few days for him to warm up to my husband again, but he was never friends with the other cat like he used to be. I firmly believe the cat thought his kitty buddy had died. Since the first time he was left at home, he's a bit more resilient and takes it in stride. So what I'm saying is that the cat will seem depressed at first but he will get over it. Maybe a little catnip will make him happy.
Just to let you know if Aspen doesn't come around after a few weeks and start acting normal again they do have medications that a vet can prescribe your cat to help in the transition phase while your cat is depressed. I would recommend that your dad give them both extra attention because the change will be tough for them if they are use to having you around. Your dad might notice the cats urinating in inappropriate places. This is one way that they might try and cope with the matter. They do make some pheromone sprays that might comfort the cats. I am no expert just a cat lover but I know that cats can really get stressed over change. Also tell him to look for decrease in appetite and decrease in urination. If these things occur then you should consult a veterinarian. I am sure they will adjust though most cats do. Good luck to you.
Don't give drugs to little Aspen. If you can get your father to do it you can get the Bach flower essence Walnut (for adjustment to change) to use on her.
Flower essences cannot harm her in any way (all drugs have "side-effects"). I imagine the problem will be to get your dad to USE it. You shake the bottle well and put three to four drops on the cat's fur between her ears. And he should get it on her four times a day for the first week or ten days. At a minimum in the morning and before bedtime.
It will help her with her emotional adjustment to your absence. Another option is to go to: http://www.spiritessence.com and get Dr. Jean Hovfe's "New Beginnings" (which has Walnut in it) mixture which might be even better. You and your dad can read about the use of flower essences for cats and other animals there. Dr. Hovfe's concoction is the same price as the Bach Walnut. You would have to wait four to five days for it to get to you by mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment