Sunday, August 2, 2009

Are cats people too?

I'm just sitting there watching an episode of NOVA on PBS last night--and I'm just staring at my wife's 30-pound cat--Persius Leonardo Jones--and a couple of others that we have in the house.
And it got me thinking--as I watch their mannerisms and behavior--are cats people too?
They certainly have a respectible level of intelligence and such. They talk, eat, and sleep.
They play.
Some even have jobs.
So it just makes me wonder about their status as either a "species" of animal, or are they a "race" of people--just like us--but furry?
Mmm...
Answers:
in my opinion I think all animals are people. because humans are part of the ape family, which we're animals.
no, thats why they're called cats
I like your avatar picture.
you crazy!
no...they may be like family to some..but not people
No, they are cats.
Of course.
idk my cat is my baby. he is kinda like a person to me.
well cats aren't people. humans on the other hand are animals. cats, bugs, and every other living creature in this world should be treated with respect man...
Um...I think you need a job...idiot!
You know... they may be. They have attuides like people so do all animals. they all think eat sleep ect ect.
wow! no cat's are freakin' cats.
no cats are cats, they do have feelings and that and they do understand humans. xx
sure?
They are quite obviously a different species than us, although they are highly intelligent. Almost all animals talk, eat, sleep and play. That does not make them humans though. But the way I see it, we are just another primate and nothing special in the grand scheme of things. I know plenty of cats and dogs who outsmart their owners on a regular basis :)
Nope.
30 pounds!!You'd better call him "Sir"...
In the spirit of your question, I think so, yes. My (deceased) cat Garlic (I know, funny name, long story) used to look at me out of the corner of her eye when she wanted to communicate that she knew what I was thinking. An extremely intelligent creature. Just because we don't know how a cat thinks doesn't mean they're not intelligent in their own way. Maybe smarter than humans. The same could be said for whales and dolphins.
yes they are better people than most humans.
right. cats are people, too. hey, dogs are people. they are just mute. cannot seem to talk very well. i have a horse named penelope and she is people, too. but she can talk. we talk late at night down in the pastor. i love penelope and she loves me. we talk about spiritual matters mostly.
Sure. I have six cats and they all have different personalities, just like people.
No, that's just fantasy. My cat just cannot get the hang of a manual gearbox on my car, I've had to buy 'Lord Quentin Farty Pants' an automatic car, and that's cost me a lot of dosh. And also he's just been sacked from his job as Archbishop of Scunthorpe, the useless fool, so I have to support him.
Wow thinking outside the box there are you, well I should say thinking outside the fur.
Well no a cat is a cat and a human is a human. But many animals tend to take human characteristics. And sometimes humans take animal characteristics.
And if you think about it we do have a lot in common with cats. But I do prefer to groom my self with a brush instead of my tongue.
If they were people they could take care of themselves. Well they can, but then I could make the 9 that I have get jobs and support me. :)
They are a bit like humans, but are cats.
yes, everything has a personality, except for inanimate objects, so it is technically a person.
As the saying goes Cats are people in fur coats
No they are not people. They are perfect loving little creatures God sent to us for love %26 companionship.
LOL. You're a special one.
Cats aren't people, but sometimes i certainly think they act like people! My dad "argues" with my cat Jake. My dad talks to him, and he ALWAYS meows back! it's very funny. Cats show love, and distrust also.
that's really insulting to the cats. animals are better than most people, in my opinion. And the cats think that we're their servants, so telling them that they're just like us will probably have the same effect as tossing them in a filled bathtub. Nothing good could come of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment