Sunday, August 2, 2009

Are there any ways to get cats to shed less hair?

Also a related question. Does the weather have anything to do with how much hair a cat sheds? With my cat it seems like when my apartment is warmer, he seems to shed more. Maybe it's just me thinking he does. Does regular bathing help?
Answers:
Yes, the weather plays a big role with how much a cat sheds. Cats usually shed alot when seasons change, like from winter to spring and summer to autumn. Also the warmer it gets the more they shed. There are vitamin supplements especially for cats, that helps them have a healthy fur coat. The more healthy their coat is the less they will shed. Also don't forget to daily brush your cat's fur.
Experience from raising my two cats.
I don't believe there is, but you can buy a brush that will get rid of the excess cat hair that might have shedded. Brush your cat several times a day, and i think that will help!
Hope i helped!
Yeah, warmer weather affects how much they shed. They're trying to lose some of that fur coat so they can cool off.
I dont' think they should be bathed TOO much...they're very clean animals, and bathing too often can strip them of natural oils etc... I bathe mine once every few months.
I would suggest brushing them often. I don't know how to make them NOT shed...
You got it- weather (temp %26 daylight) have lots to do with shedding.
Diet is just as important. A good dry food (Nutromax or Solid Gold, which they'll actually eat) makes a big difference.
There are also a few pretty good spray-on 'less shedding' products, drsfostersmith.com or pet stores.
Also- stress can cause a cat to drop (shed) like when you're at the vet's- it's probably the change in body temp. that does it.
I have three shorthairs that seem to be worse shedders than my longhairs- probably because I groom the longhairs all the time so they don't get matts.
Bathing? Well, if you live in an area that has REPUTABLE and licensed groomers, a good clip (longhairs only) does wonders. I think bathing would be too much trouble for little result.
You could try one of those new furminators. Use it gently though or it can burn (cause rash) skin.
Brushing is the best way to control shedding. Cats do shed more in warmer weather or conditions. Bathing is not necessary. I once added grapeseed oil to their moist food to prevent dry skin, which leads to shedding as well. A few drops of any oil should do, especially olive oil.
feed your cat quality food
brush your cat often
yea weather will affect your cats shedding if it is warmer you cat will shed a little bit more and if it is cooler, it won't shed as much. just feed your cat quality food (I would recomend natural choice complete care indoor) and brush your cat a few times a week
Brush your cat daily and you will see that much hair comes off and therefore there will be much less hair around your apartment. Brushing really works!

No comments:

Post a Comment