Sunday, August 2, 2009

Are Maine Coons compatible with other cats?

I've had my cat for nearly two years now. She was given to my family through my mothers friend. She's very sweet, and gentle and smart. She's approximetly seven years old, spayed and is an indoor/outdoor cat.
We are considering adopting another cat because a coworker of my mothers is moving out of state. All we know about the cat is that it was in the pound once before. Now if we adopt this cat, the only concern is if Sabrina (my Maine Coon) will get along with the other feline. We had another cat previously that constantly fought with her and she does not like the neighborhood cats.
I understand I should follow a careful introduction procedure. I just need to know if Maine Coons are compatible with other felines? And if anyone has any tips for me that would be great too.
Answers:
I have friends that have one maine coon and other cats and they are fine.
We had a Maine Coon whom we adopted when he just showed up on our doorstep one day. Yes, I'm certain he was a Maine Coon because I asked the vet when I took him in and the vet told me. Anyway, he lived in a home with 3 other cats and they all got along very well. I don't think you'll have any problems.
Yes. I have 4 cats and a great, lovable maine coon is one. He's the most laid back, friendly cat ever. He's also a monster in size. Not fat, but the species are huge.
Sure,they're compatible as a breed,but your cat,as an individual,may not like other cats.All you can do is try.I would get a young, ( under 12 months) neutered male that is known to get along with other cats,and slowly introduce them.If it doesn't work,the shelters will usually take the cat back.
Oh,sorry,I missed the part about the cat belonging to someone who's moving.Is the cat a male or female? If it's already grown,it really doesn't matter.Some cats click instantly and some don't,but they will usually learn to tolerate each other,and may become fast friends.
Maine Coons love other Cats. I adopted one when she was already 3 years old and she adjusted fine into our household that already consisted of 7 other cats. Some of my other cats didn't care much for her but others actually played with her. My Maine coon was origanally adopted form the pound to a guy that trained animals for the movies. She was then given to me because she wasn't able to perform her tricks 2 times in a row. She was the best cat i ever had.
A friend of many years kept a Maine coon along with two other different kinds and they got along very well. It greatly depends, though on the temperament of the cat. If you go for an older kitty, they generally are more mellow, and if you get a very young kitten, it should get along well with respect to Sabrina. Her Maine coon, who was older, got along with a young cat, a few months old. Both were males. Best to you!
absolutely i had one with 2 other house cats. they were all buddies
Maine Coon cats, on average, are as compatible with other cats as any breed; but individuals vary. They do tend to be one-person cats and may not like to share lap space with other cats even if they get along otherwise.
Most cats will resent a new arrival at first no matter what, but given a chance most cats learn to co-exist even if they don't become buddies. One critical factor is making sure the cats have access to resources - food, water, litter boxes and resting spaces - so that they don't feel like they're in competition. Another is to keep them separated, if possible, until the cats have calmed down enough to make slow controlled introductions; this may take a couple days to a couple weeks,depending on the cats.

No comments:

Post a Comment