Thursday, May 7, 2009

5 Week Old Kitten?

Well, my best friend adopted this kitten that's estimated to be around 5 weeks old, which makes sense. My own cat was taken from her mother too young, and we adopted her from the shelter around four weeks old. You see, that must have been years ago, when I was in fourth or fifth grade. Now I can't remember all the care that has to go into them. ((I'm a freshman now. Grade 9.))
So, my best friend adopted her to be a 'farm cat', since they own a farm. I refused to let them take her out there and leave her, so I said I'd take her in for a month or so. First question, what's a good age to take them out to the farm? I'm really not sure on this one. I don't even want to let them do that, but there's no other choice, since I can't fully adopt her. We already have three cats, and their throwing a fit right now.
Second question, what's some of the care that goes into having such a young baby?
Answers:
She needs to be fed every three to four hours with mother's milk replacement for kittens from a bottle. For the bottle, you will need to make the hole a about a quarter inch in diameter.
You will need to pet her and cuddle her and show her she is loved; but, your friend also needs to come over once or twice a week and feed the kitten and pet and generally love the kitten, so when the kitten goes to her new home the kitten will not feel so lonely.
You should make a special box for the kitten to sleep in with a big fluffy towel... keep in mind kitten may not sleep in it!
I would say you need to wait until the kitten is almost full grown to take her to the farm.
And, your friend should take kitten to the farm for... "sleepovers" if you will, to sleep in your friends room just once or twice a month after the kitten has been weaned off the baby bottle. When she goes for sleepovers, make sure your friend takes the box made for the kitten to sleep in.
You should introduce the cats to her ONE at a time in YOUR room, with you watching them CONSTANTLY. Only for five minutes each day.
I don't know how many times the kitten should be going to the bathroom in a day, but even if once a day is fine, I think you need to take kitten to the vet anyway, just to check her out... like the annual checkups school nurses give to check weight and eye strength and such.
I think kitten needs to stay just on the formula for another week or so, then introduce her to the wet food; maybe make the food wet and mushy and warm by mixing it with some warm formula. After she's eaten some of that, feed her formula until she's full. Increase her intake of wet food and decrease her intake of formula, making it slightly less mushy each week.
With our kitten, of course, we just gave her dry food cold turkey... but, I think the mushy food thing is better.
Good luck!
best food for kitten is mixture kitten wet food %26 formula %26 kitten biscuits about 6 weeks. make sure plenty of water. You have to help kittens go to toilet by gently wiping under their tails to stimulate their bladder etc. a bit messy but has to be done. Do this after every feed then put them in kitty litter tray. Better if you keep kitty locked in another room for a while. Try %26 keep her until she is at least 8 weeks old.
Feed her formula or cat milk mixed with wet cat food, and some dry food. Feed her every few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment