Thursday, May 7, 2009

10 week old kittens not litterbox trained?

I got 2 kittens yesterday and last night I found a #2 on the carpet. I couldn't tell which one of them did it, so I carried both of them to the litter box. This morning there are 2 #2's on the carpet, so obviously the two of them did the deed. I'm thinking of relocating them into a bathroom when they're not supervised but I'll let them come into the room when I'm in there supervising them (the bathroom is connected through the room). Any suggestions on how I can speed up the litter training process?
Also, I've noticed their box doesn't have any urine in it either. I need help fast! Thanks!
Answers:
This is what i've done with my past cats. IT works! You put them in the room with the litterbox the whole day (Along with food and water and a window of corse) and then they will eventually learn to go in the litterbox.HOPE THIS HELPS! :)
It's natural for cats to use the litter box. Most don't need to be trained, so I don't have much advice. Keeping them in the bathroom for now is a good idea. Everytime they make a mess, pick it up and place it in the litter box. After a while they should get the point of where it goes. Good luck. :)
new kittens should never be given the run of the house for at least a week... they need to be confined to the room where their litter boxes are..
rule of thumb: 1 litter box per cat.. and ideally 1 more in other part of the house.
where did you get them from?? if "free to good home" particularly if they were farm kittens - they probably never were litter trained.. (most farms do not have litter boxes in their barns)
if from a shelter you probably got some sort of guarantee with them - call the shelter and ask if they were using the box correctly.
remember better quality food = less poops...
i would say start to train them and reward them for stuff they do good (use the litter box) and dont do anything if they use the floor just pic it up and give them little or no attention within that hour or so
u HAVE to supervise them ALOT kittens are a **** loat of responsibility, put the #2's in the litter box and show them, make them smell it so they know what it is and its put there b/c thats where it belongs...this method i did...only once with my younger kitten Valentine she picked it up FAST...next day she was going in teh box on her own, and if there peeing on teh carpet scrub it HARD and put the box there for a couple days and dont give them any praise until they go IN the box on there own, (might require u to sit and watch them for a couple hours or more-so get comfy)
Cats naturally know how to use the litter box so verly little "training" is required. Sometimes kittens need a little coaxing so just keep them in a confined space with the litter box. When they've gone to the bathroom outside of it, make sure the cats see you put it in the litter box. If you let them smell it, usually (as I've noticed with mine) they'll try to cover it up in the litter. All babies have accidents, but I don't think it'll be a problem in the long run.
In terms of pee, I have to say that it does absorb fast in clay litter. If they were peeing on the floor, you'd be able to smell it by now and if they are then I'd just say you need to wait a bit. Usually this kind of thing works itself out.

No comments:

Post a Comment