Thursday, May 7, 2009

4 month old kitten.?

He won't use his scratching post that I bought him.. Someone told me to put cat nip on it so he will use it... Is he too young for cat nip??
Answers:
Apart from the above mentioned, it could also be the location that "turns him off". Cats scratch to establish their territory, so maybe it's not in a spot that needs that -apart from that cats like to use their posts as a "lookout"
f.i. a quiet part of the house won't be as tempting as a spot in front of the window or just around the corner of a doorway.
So if the catnip and the playing around it don't work, try just moving it.
No hes not to young for cat nip,But thats even if he will use it after that.I have a weird cat i guess i have this one scratch post and she dont touch it at all.Now i got a huge one given to me from my cousin and she loves it so i dont know maybe its just that post??
I don't know about catnip (except that not all cats are affected by it). The best way I found was to play with the kitten around the scratching pole, making it part of the game. Perhaps place his favorite toy on top of the pole, enticing the kitten to claw at the pole. They soon get the idea.
Most cats do not respond to cat nip until they are at least 6 months and sometimes not at all. Early exposure and overexposure can also make them immune to it sometimes. I suggest attaching a string with or without some kind of ball or toy to the post to attract him to it.
he isnt too young for catnip but he may not respond to it yet they usally respond to catnip from about 6 months ish . depends on the cat ,
makesure its a high scrathcing post as this stoped my kitten using it and now he has gt a really tall one and scracthes on it all the time .
good look

No comments:

Post a Comment